Monday, November 30, 2009

Too much irony on the field penalty costs Roughriders Grey Cup

CALGARY - The Saskatchewan Roughriders blew their shot at winning the 97th Grey Cup after being penalized for a staggering, unimaginable amount of irony on the field Sunday.

"After months of going on about '13th man this' and '13th man that' they have 13 men on the field during the dying seconds of the game?" asked referee Glen Johnson.

"I'm sorry but that jaw-dropping amount of irony is a 10-yard penalty."

The flag, which linguists confirmed was a direct reversal of intention and expectation, allowed dumbfounded Montreal Alouettes to win the game and bewilderingly accept the Cup.

"This a little weird," said Montreal's David Duval, who after the penalty connected on his second try for a game-winning field goal.

"I played terribly the whole game. At one point I punted for seven yards. Seven yards! And yet due to the other team screwing up I'm somehow the big hero.

"Huh. I guess that is pretty ironic."

The bizarre finish was a delight to fans, as the televised broadcast received the highest ratings for any Grey Cup game.

"I tuned in after smoking a couple joints and for the longest time I couldn't figure out why the Steelers and Ravens were wearing such funny colours. Or why they kept not going for it on third down, that just seemed overly cautious to me" said Brent Smuckley of Oromocto, New Brunswick.

"It wasn't until after that crazy finish that I realized I'd inadvertantly watched a CFL game. Who knew such a thing could be entertaining?"

CFL analysts agree this is the most ironic Grey Cup finish since the Hamilton Tiger Cats lost to Saskatchewan in 1980 after a live tiger cat ran onto the field and killed Hamilton quarterback Mike Kerrigan.

No comments: