Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Top Five Saddest Songs

Some people are half-glass full people. Others are half-glass empty people. Me? I more of a why-bother-drinking-the-water-at-all-when-people-are dying-each-day-from-lack-of-clean-drinking-water. Needless to say, I'm a bit of a bummer at dinner parties. My 21st century-depression is also heavily triggered by music. And so, inspired by the soon-to-come wextra over at Walrus Magazine, I have decided to challenge paul to a sad-off. One rule, though: no artist who only does depressing stuff. So, no Elliot Smith kindof sad.

"1913 Massacre"---Arlo Guthrie version off of Hobo's Lullaby
This song chokes me up every time. I have it on an old scratchy LP record that I picked up at the Salvation Army. The song, written by Woody Guthrie, tells the horrific true story of a Christmas party in the copper mining town of Calumet, Michigan. I'm good up until the line, "And the children that died there were seventy-three."

5) "We Shall Overcome"---Pete Seeger off Live at Carnegie Hall
I always liked this song, but it was my high school music teacher who made me realize how sad it was. The song always brought back memories of singing the song when he went to school in California in the1960s. They had so much hope. Now when I hear Pete Seeger lead the crowd, it reminds me how little all that change and hope did. ANd then I well up.

4) "It's a Motherfucker"---by Eels off Daisies of the Galaxy
Mr. E is a guy I can really identify with. In fact a few Eels songs made my shortlist. None of them could beat the line, "It's a motherfucker, being here without you"

3) "What a Wonderful World/Somewhere Over the Rainbow"
---Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
When I was in elementary school, my grade two teacher used to play these songs on a little record player. I always wondered how people could write such lovely things when everything around me had begun to seem so sad. Israel's version of the two songs with his uke "do, do, dooos" amplifies the sadness that I always heard.

2) "You are my Sunshine"---Jimmie Davis
This song epitomizes love for me. For all the joy love brings it makes you suffer twice as much. With it's upbeat tempo and simple rythm this song suckers you into believe it'll be a happy one, and then, "As I lay sleeping, I dreamed I held you in my arms. But when I awoke, dear, I was mistaken. And I hug my head and I cried." Pow! Right in the kisser.

1) "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda"
---The Pogues off Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash
This is the only song I have never been able to get through without shedding a tear. I try and try, but I can't do it. Oh, cruel war! I'm a sucker for you every time.

Runner up: Harry Nilsson "Without You"---If you've ever seen Rules of Attraction you know why I picked this song. This song is the official theme song for suicide.

No comments: